Hunting-Season Bike Safety
In the fall, bikers share the woods with hunters—here are some tips to play nice and be safe.
1) Stick to the main trails to avoid unexpected confrontations with hunters.
2) Leave the pooch at home. Or keep it close, and use a blaze-orange collar or vest.
3) Wear orange or another bright color. Visibility allows a slow-moving hunter to see you early and get off the trail (and keeps those out-of-state hunters from mistaking you for a fast-moving game animal).
4) Keep the whoops and hollers to a minimum. Disrupting wildlife also disrupts hunting.
5) Check designations and regulations at trailheads to determine where hunters are likely to be, and avoid them altogether.