Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 hours
Servings: 6 people
Recommended Pellets: Hickory
These tacos are straight-up buck wild. Braise wild-game neck, shoulder, or arm meat, then add Montana Mex Sweet & Spicy Habanero Sauce and serve in warm tortillas with spicy smoked jalapeños.
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 cloves fresh garlic
- 3 lbs. large cuts of wild venison neck, shoulder, or arm meat
- 2 Tbsp. Traeger Prime Rib Rub
- 2 Tbsp. Traeger Coffee Rub
- 3/4 cup bone broth
- 6 mini sweet peppers
- 3 jalapeños
- Olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 15 six-inch corn tortillas
- Montana Mex Sweet & Spicy Habanero Sauce
- 1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Place a large cast iron pot with a lid or a Dutch oven on the grill preheated to 500 degrees with grill lid closed for 15 minutes.
- Add the butter and garlic to the pot, stir and then add venison, searing on all sides.
- Reduce the heat to 225 degrees and season the meat on all sides with the Prime Rib and Coffee rubs.
- Pour in bone broth and cover, braise until meat is fork-tender and easily pulls apart, 10-11 hours.
- When meat is almost done, prepare the toppings. Toss peppers, jalapenos, and onion halves with oil and Prime Rib rub.
- Increase temp back to 500 degrees. Wrap tortillas in foil and warm for 10 minutes. Put peppers and onions on grill, char veggies flipping once. Remove everything from grill.
- Trim stems from the peppers and roughly chop the veggies.
- Shred the venison with two forks and add the chopped veggies. Put in some of the habanero sauce and mix, let sit for a few minutes to allow flavors to meld.
- Thinly slice the avocados and chop the cilantro.
- For assembly, pile the meat and vegetables into the warm tortillas. Top with avocado and cilantro. Serve and enjoy.
Original recipe provided by John Dudley via Traeger Wood Fired Grills. You can see the original recipe here, and learn about John Dudley here.