Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 hours
Servings: 6 people
Recommended Pellets: Hickory
These tacos are straight-up buck wild. Braise wild-game neck, shoulder, or arm meat, then add Montana Mex Sweet & Spicy Habanero Sauce and serve in warm tortillas with spicy smoked jalapeños.
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 cloves fresh garlic
- 3 lbs. large cuts of wild venison neck, shoulder, or arm meat
- 2 Tbsp. Traeger Prime Rib Rub
- 2 Tbsp. Traeger Coffee Rub
- 3/4 cup bone broth
- 6 mini sweet peppers
- 3 jalapeños
- Olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 15 six-inch corn tortillas
- Montana Mex Sweet & Spicy Habanero Sauce
- 1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Place a large cast iron pot with a lid or a Dutch oven on the grill preheated to 500 degrees with grill lid closed for 15 minutes.
- Add the butter and garlic to the pot, stir and then add venison, searing on all sides.
- Reduce the heat to 225 degrees and season the meat on all sides with the Prime Rib and Coffee rubs.
- Pour in bone broth and cover, braise until meat is fork-tender and easily pulls apart, 10-11 hours.
- When meat is almost done, prepare the toppings. Toss peppers, jalapenos, and onion halves with oil and Prime Rib rub.
- Increase temp back to 500 degrees. Wrap tortillas in foil and warm for 10 minutes. Put peppers and onions on grill, char veggies flipping once. Remove everything from grill.
- Trim stems from the peppers and roughly chop the veggies.
- Shred the venison with two forks and add the chopped veggies. Put in some of the habanero sauce and mix, let sit for a few minutes to allow flavors to meld.
- Thinly slice the avocados and chop the cilantro.
- For assembly, pile the meat and vegetables into the warm tortillas. Top with avocado and cilantro. Serve and enjoy.